Sunday 15 July 2012

‘T’ is for……Truly Scrumptious refrigerator cake



A posh version of chocolate Rice Krispy cakes …..a mix of biscuit, Maltesers, Milky Way Stars, Minstrels, and marshmallows encased  in chocolate and decorated with chocolate covered strawberries…….Diet tomorrow me thinks!!! 
Last week during one of the Wimbledon matches a woman was caught on camera doing something that many called disrespectfuldisgusting, unbelievable...what was she doing to provoke such outrage? .......well she was knitting!!! lol funny how times change as I remember when I was growing up most women took their knitting wherever they went, hoping to get a moment to knit a few more rows, and no one batted an eyelid. Now it has been branded as the ultimate crime. Maybe there is a time and a place, but I can think of worse things that the camera could of discovered!!!!   
Anyway this made my thoughts turn to my gran, aunts and my mum with their knitting, which became the inspiration for this easy cake!  Saturday mornings were always given to the task of baking, as a child I was given the task of making Rice Krispie Cakes.....I felt very grown up and important being able to make these without any help from my Gran or Mum.....Much of the mixture ended up on the table top and floor, although I expect quite allot ended up in my mouth, never reaching the pretty paper cases!  
In the afternoon all the women would sit together enjoying each others company, and while they chatted, ate cake, and sipped tea, they got on with their knitting! What a wonderful way to multitask!!!! 
Knitting vanished as a hobby for many years but has grown very quickly into a popular pastime and many knitting circles have been formed up and down the country. Men and women alike have embraced this craft, and discovered its therapeutic and help to chill out....Knitting is yoga for the brain!!
So this cake is for knitters everywhere......Hugs 4 smiles M x

100g (3 1/2oz) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
200g (7oz) milk chocolate, broken into pieces
3 tbsp golden syrup
225g (8oz) digestive biscuits, finely crushed
Handful of Maltesers, Milky Way Stars, Minstrals, Marshmallows (or chocolate delights of your choice)
Grease a 20cm (8") square cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
Melt together the butter, chocolate and golden syrup and stir until smooth.  Add the crushed digestives and stir until well coated.  Then add the Maltesers and stir quickly so they don't melt.
Press into the tin and chill in the fridge until set. Cut into squares
I decorated mine with chocolate dipped strawberries.....everything comes with strawberries right now as we have a huge glut of them!!!
I made thee Strawberry Muffins for my Nutty Knitter group at our last meet.....Take any Muffin recipe and add chopped strawberries to the mixture before baking x

        
Knitting is very conducive to thought.  It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while, then take up the sock again.  ~Dorothy Day 

I like making a piece of string into something I can wear.  ~Author Unknown




    

No comments:

Post a Comment