Friday 27 April 2012

'K' is for.....Kit Kat Cake



Weigh-out biscuits were very popular at Woolworth from the 1920s until the early 1980s. The picture shows the selection in the flagship Scottish store in Princes Street, Edinburgh at Christmas, 1959.
Broken biscuit counter
        

Hello Everyone, How are you all today? A little
late with the cake this week, but life has been very busy. Anyway yesterday was a grey wet day, so I took the wooden spoon and bowl out and spent the afternoon baking. I produced 2 Kit Kat cakes, one for my gang, and one for my loyal tasters! This cake was easy to make and decorate and defiantly has the wow factor for any occasion for tea time treat to a celebration. It is not totally original as you can find lots of recipes and pictures  for this cake on the internet, but I did tweak it, using a mixture of toppings instead of just one.
Kit Kat's evoke so many childhood memories. My mum always provided good food but there was little money for treats. I can remember going to Woolworths in the days when  it had separate counters for different goods, no shelving systems in those days. We would head to the broken biscuit section, where the assistant behind the counter would weigh out the biscuits and take the payment. The next stop would be Lipton's for groceries, but that's another story.
My Mum and her friend Doreen would often get together for a bit of a gossip over tea and biscuits while us kids played. I knew during the afternoon we would be offered a glass of squash and and a choice of Kit Kat or a Club biscuit. Oh the sheer delight of unwrapping the chocolate covered delight and savoring every mouthful....Sometimes to make the treat last I would first lick all the chocolate off the biscuit , then slowly nibble the biscuit base. The foil wrapper would not go to waste either as I would make a little foil wine cup! http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Things-from-Chewing-Gum-Foil This must of been the start of my artistic career as I recycle materials wherever I can. This link will take you to a bag I made  a few years ago using Smoothie cartons! http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/blog/2007/august/hand-bags-at-da
Line two 8" round baking tins and make your favorite chocolate sponge. As you now from previous recipes I use the 'Delia' all in one method. Bake until risen. Turn out on a wire rack to cool.
I used chocolate spread to sandwich the sponges together. The cake is then covered in chocolate, frosting or butter cream.
Push fingers of Kit Kat all around the sides, then fill the top with your favorite sweets. I used Smarties, Maltesers & Mini Mallows, Belgian Thins and Chocolate Sticks
I then tied a red ribbon around the outside which just gives the finishing touch.  Do have a go at making this, it really is very easy to make and looks truly amazing :) Have a great weekend :) Hugs 4 smiles M xxx



    

                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment