Monday 28 May 2012

'O'is for....Oreo and strawberry cheesecake




Hello all....a little late again posting....I am already in the throws of baking for the letter 'P' :) so keep a look out :)
I struggled with this as I could only think of oranges and could not associate oranges with memories. The light bulb went on and although another cheesecake was made at least I had a story to tell.
My Mum could not have a cuppa without getting the biscuit tin out, Rich Tea were her favourite followed by Digestives. I can remember her dipping the biscuit into the tea, and as a child I watched this ritual with anticipation....at what point would the biscuit be dipped too long in the hot tea causing that part to fall into the cup. She would then take a teaspoon and retrieve the soggy sloppy mess and seeing the smile on her face it was obviously the part of this ceremony she enjoyed the most.
I could not understand why she enjoyed doing this as the few times I  tried was something I found quite disgusting. I'm afraid biscuits for me had to be crunchy....after all if you brought a packet and opened them to find them all wet and slimy you would take them back. Anyway seems this was something adults did, and I can remember aunts, uncles and many neighbors 'dunking' as its called their favourite biscuit.
There is a definite divide with people on this pastime....a bit like Marmite you either love it or hate it! 
So what has this got to do with my creation, well the commercial for Oreo biscuits shows a little girl dunking these delights into a glass of milk while her pet dog sits watching and drooling:) So now you can see the connection!
How many of you 'Dunk'?





The one problem I had with this cake was the weather and the lightness of the whipped topping. The cake had to travel 20minutes in the car to my taste testers, and being a warm day it became a little sloppy, but despite its appearance on cutting it still tasted good :) and all went, not even a crumb left :) Somehow the sloppiness of the topping was a happy accident as it fitted in well with sloppy biscuits in my story! 
   

Ingredients
300g oreo biscuits save 6 for decoration
100g butter , melted
600g soft cheese
100g icing sugar
284ml pot double cream
Punnet of fresh strawberries chopped, reserving some whole for decoration
Make the base: Butter and line a 23cm loose-bottomed tin with
baking parchment. Put the biscuits in a plastic food bag and
crush to crumbs using a rolling pin. Reserve half a cupful for decoration.
Put the crumbs to a bowl, then pour over the melted butter. Mix thoroughly until the
crumbs are completely coated. Tip them into the prepared tin
and press firmly down into the base to create an even layer.
Chill in the fridge for 1 hr to set firmly.
Place the soft cheese & icing sugar
then beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
Tip in the cream and continue beating until the mixture is
completely combined. Gently fold in chopped strawberries.
Pour into tin over biscuit base. Smooth the top of the
cheesecake down with the back of a spoon or spatula.
Leave to set in the fridge overnight
Decorate with a sprinkle of Oreo crumbs and whole strawberries and halved oreos
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment