Saturday 2 June 2012

'P' is for....Pizza Pavlova

When I lived at home I baked on a Saturday morning and usually made lunch as well. The family favorite was pizza, in those days there was not so much choice in the supermarket  as there is now, ready meals and  Pizza were limited and quite expensive. So after making a few batches of rock buns and fairy cakes out would come the bread flour to make dough. While I kneaded it seemed for hours until I reached the right elasticity I would have the TV on and watch Noel Edmund's 'Multi Coloured Swap Shop'. If you remember that program then you are roughly the same age as me! 
I enjoyed making and eating these muddled up pizza creations....I would add as many different toppings as I could find....I made a few mistakes with my savoury combinations .....they made their way to the bin! The best bit of my morning then was walking away from the kitchen and leaving my mum to clear up while I got ready to go out and party! nowadays I have to clear up my own mess!
Sundays would find my mum making meringues, she was not really a cook but she always managed a good balance of crispiness and stickiness in her little cakes. My job would be to whisk the cream for the filling, which I hated doing as she made me do it by hand.....but it was worth it as come tea time they would be on the table and mmmmm delicious.
In this recipe I have used meringue for the base, red coloured whisked cream to look like tomato sauce, the fruit represents the mixed ingredients used on a pizza, grated chocolate for cheese and sliced chocolate mini rolls to represent pepperoni!!! So the regular pavlova goes all regular fruity  pizza :) Enjoy.....hugs 4 smiles M xx
                                                         
Ingredients
for meringue base
2 egg whites
4oz castor sugar

Pre heat oven to 150C
Line a baking sheet with baking parchment
To make the meringue, place the egg whites in a large bowl and, using an electric hand whisk on a low speed, begin whisking.
Continue for about 2 minutes, until the whites are foamy, then switch the speed to medium and carry on whisking for 1 more minute.
Now turn the speed to high and continue whisking until the egg whites reach the stiff-peak stage. Next, whisk the sugar in on fast speed, a little at a time (about a dessertspoon), until you have a stiff and glossy mixture.
Place onto a lined baking sheet and with the back of a spoon push into a circular base shape
Place on the centre shelf of the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 140°C and bake for 40 minutes.
After that, turn the oven off and leave the meringues to dry out in the warmth of the oven for 4 hours or overnight
Topping
Double cream
Red food colouring
4 different fruits of your choice
White chocolate grated
3 Mini chocolate rolls, sliced
Whip cream until thick and add food colouring. Spread over meringue base.
Arrange fruit on top
Sprinkle on the grated chocolate then pop sliced chocolate rolls on top to finish off. Keep the chocolate rolls in the fridge, they slice easier when cold :)
Have a go this weekend, you could use just blueberries, strawberries and white chocolate for a Jubilee theme! 




No comments:

Post a Comment