Sunday 3 June 2012

'Q' is for.....Queen of Cakes

My entry for Good to Know Recipes magazines competition 'Jubilee Queen of Cakes'

Hello everyone :) So we are well into the Jubilee celebrations now, I am just watching the flotilla on the Thames, the Queen looks radiant. I was lucky enough a few weeks ago to attend the pageant in the grounds of Windsor Castle...'All the Queens Horses'. Its being screened on TV this evening and is a feast for the eyes :)
Today I am going to blow my own trumpet and share with you my day at Good to Know Recipes magazines offices in Central London, where the final judging took place on Friday. But first I need to start this story from the beginning.
I started this blog way back in January. I had become poorly at the beginning of December and I was told by my consultant that it was going to be a while for me to bounce back. I spent most days asleep or playing couch potato. My creativity with my art had got up and gone and I was feeling sorry for myself. Even going for a short 10 minute walk was an effort. I have always enjoyed baking and decided I could just about meet the challenge of a cake each week....my a-z of cakes. There have been some weeks that I was unable to push myself , but he ho we are up to Q now.....and yes there will be a new recipe for 'Q'is for....later this week:)
This cake was originally made way back on a dull January day. I decided on the colours and flavours and it was only when I finished it that I realised I had created a Jubilee Cake!
Its funny how things happen as I had started this to give me something to focus on and never once did I ever think I would receive so many mails and comments from friends and strangers as I have, let alone come second in a competition with a food magazine:) But I did and I had the most amazing day.
Me with 2 of the judges. Ruth Clemens on the right and Victoria Threader on the left

 I received a mail from the Magazine on Monday afternoon to tell me I was one of the finalists. I had to re-create my cake and take it with me to their offices for 9.30am on Friday. One minor problem.....Cakes, trains and rush hour are not the best combination. Oh well if I got there and it resembled a trifle then so be it.
Lots of panicky moments making the cake, as I put it together and placed the coconut marzipan over the top  I felt the cake slip. But a little tweaking and it was saved:)
Gino D'Acampo was there to judge as well.....hes a cheeky chappy  with a good sense of humour.



I arrived on time with the cake in one piece thankfully. A general introduction and tea with the staff and judges, then setting up time. I was surprised how chilled I was. We then had 2 masterclasses. We made funny face cupcakes with Victoria, and cookie ice lollies with Ruth.

 Gino then arrived to have lunch with us all before judging the cakes. I enjoyed the friendly banter, hen it was off to the terrace to sip tea and take in the view of the London skyline...its a shame it was such a grey day.
                                             


We were then called back for the winner to be announced. Sam won the first prize and I came in second....I was happy with that as I never thought for one moment that I would get this far. When I sent my entry off I did not give it another thought, so it was a lovely surprise to get this far.
Me and Sam she won the first prize


after the judging




Sams prize winning cakes....a worthy winner x




We both took away a hamper of sugar craft goodies, including Ruth's new book, and a goodie bag from)Victoria which included all the equipment we needed to make here lovely cupcakes :)
A day to remember....oh and I won a stove as did Sam!!! 
Thank you to everyone at Good to Know Recipes for a fantastic day...hugs 4 smiles love M xx
If you want to find out more go to.....

No comments:

Post a Comment